
Father’s Day Gift to Last a Lifetime
Danielle Smith
Special to the Michigan Citizen
Samuel Tarver isn’t a father, but he’s already planning for his children’s future. Samuel, a 21 year old Detroiter, has been on his own since he was 17, however, many could agree that he began raising himself long before he was even eligible for a driver’s license. Samuel’s mother left when he was only 14, leaving him and his 16 year old brother to maintain the household while his father worked long hours to provide for them. He says, “I was basically on my own. When my father wasn’t working he would come home, drink and sleep. I had to learn things on my own and deal with situations the best way I knew how.”
Samuel Tarver isn’t a father, but he’s already planning for his children’s future. Samuel, a 21 year old Detroiter, has been on his own since he was 17, however, many could agree that he began raising himself long before he was even eligible for a driver’s license. Samuel’s mother left when he was only 14, leaving him and his 16 year old brother to maintain the household while his father worked long hours to provide for them. He says, “I was basically on my own. When my father wasn’t working he would come home, drink and sleep. I had to learn things on my own and deal with situations the best way I knew how.”
Samuel attended high school until his father’s untimely death his senior year. At that time, depression had stripped him of his drive to graduate and he stopped short of a diploma by a few months. Not long after graduation day had come and gone, he lost his 20 year old brother and was left without the only constant he’d ever known. “Losing my brother and father made me stronger. I learned that my survival depends on me and I will just keep stepping higher until I can’t go any higher,” he says.
Samuel was forced to move into a shelter, living hand-to-mouth for years. Knowing that there was something better, Samuel used his experiences to navigate a new path for himself and his children. Samuel began studying for the GED and seeking a job. Dressed in a jersey and gym shoes and equipped with a desire to learn, Samuel went from employer to employer only to be denied. He says, “I went everywhere and they all said, ‘We’ll call you’. At the time I didn’t understand why I wasn’t being hired.” Then Samuel found Jackets for Jobs, Inc.
Jackets for Jobs, Inc is a nonprofit corporation and Michigan WORKS! Affiliate whose mission is to empower economically disadvantaged individuals by enhancing their employment opportunities. Jackets for Jobs, Inc provides participants with professional clothing and training seminars to build self-confidence and prepare them to successfully enter the work force. The organization helped Samuel to trade his interview jerseys for interview suits, complete with new skills and a new outlook.
Samuel was hired as a housekeeper for the Samaritan Center, located on Detroit’s East side, within a week of his Jackets for Jobs, Inc experience. The management was so impressed with his work ethic and presentation that he was quickly promoted to security guard. Samuel, who plans to attend Community College in the Summer and begin at Wayne State University I the Fall, credits Jackets for Jobs, Inc. for his new start, “ Before I was introduced to the Jackets for Jobs program I had never worn a suit or thought about what professionalism really means. I’ll do anything to repay them because they made me feel comfortable and professional. I am so much more confident now and it will only get better!”
Alison Vaughn, founder and executive director of Jackets for Jobs, Inc. says, “I founded Jackets for Jobs, Inc. to fill a void in the city. There was an unmet need that we strive to meet.” Samuel agrees, “Jackets for Jobs didn’t just give me a suit, they took me off the streets and taught me a new way of life. Nobody had ever taken the time to teach me.” With his ever growing skills set, Samuel plans to instill career-focused values in his children, “My work ethic becomes stronger every day and I realize that in order to be a good father I have to work hard now. The thought of giving my children more than I had inspires me to move forward.”
Jackets for Jobs, Inc has helped more than 4,500 men and women to acquire and maintain careers. To make a donation or to become involved call (313) 579-9160 or visit http://www.jacketsforjobs.org/.
No comments:
Post a Comment